Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday Quote - knitted edition

The second Monday of the month is knit night for several of my friends. Several of them are quite accomplished knitters, completing such projects as socks and sweaters. Most of the group are admittedly yarn snobs, choosing the more natural fibers and blends over “squeaky” acrylic yarns. We all enjoy the camaraderie of working with wool and sticks.

I always look forward to these nights. While I rarely get much of note accomplished, my inability to correctly follow patterns reigns high when knitting around a group of friends, the wealth of knowledge around the table (or three) is wonderful. Plus, there’s the whole hanging out with friends.

I think that my issue with patterns and completing more complex knitting projects is all due to my being easily bored and distracted. This is helpful, though, when I want to take a small project or two – like a simple scarf or washcloth – along with me when I have to do some waiting. As the Yarn Harlot Stephanie Pearl-McPhee says in At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much:

Knitting is a boon for those of us who are easily bored. I take my knitting everywhere to take the edge off of moments that would otherwise drive me stark raving mad.
So true, Stephanie, so very, very true.

No comments:

Post a Comment