Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Quote - Get Happy

Happiness radiates like the fragrance from a flower, and draws all good things toward you. Allow your love to nourish yourself as well as others. Do not strain after the needs of life. It is sufficient to be quietly alert and aware of them. In this way life proceeds more naturally and effortlessly. Life is here to Enjoy!

~Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Happiness can be found in such a variety of things. It’s also something that may be long lasting or fleeting. No matter, it is definitely something that is always good.

Have you ever thought about what makes you happy? What are the things that bring your pure joy?

A few days ago I had a group of kindergarten students visit the one of the library branches. I had quickly put together a story program to share with them. They LOVED it. We did a simple call and response/repeat chant – in different styles of voices, of course – and read three books. While showing them the various parts of the library, they wanted to stop and look at the books and magazines. It was a great visit. Thinking about it after a few days have past still brings a smile to my face.

Helping others also makes me happy. For years I’ve thought about “adopting” a student or two and purchasing school supplies for them at the beginning of the school year. Recently I finally looked up the information needed to contact a local Board of Education. I emailed the secretary (because secretaries are almost always in the know) and asked how to go about doing this. She passed it along to the elementary school principal, who stated that he can make sure the items are passed along to needy students in a discrete and non-embarrassing way. Yay! Now several of my coworkers are also going to help me with this little project. I’ve also opened it up to my local friends. I’m so excited to be able to help at least a few children start off the school year with the supplies that they need.

Little things make me happy too. Seeing a beautiful nature setting, like the New River Gorge in West Virginia. Getting a cute card from a loved one. Spike being his usual crazy puppy boy. Snuggling with the hubby. Celebrating my birthday (I’m a little nutso about my birthday). Reading a great book.

There are so many ways to bring joy to life. Sit back. Enjoy. Do what makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment