Saturday, August 14, 2010

Project Backpack

I think I mentioned recently that I’m doing a little community project. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years, but finally contacted the right people this year.

The project? I’m calling it Project Backpack. Its purpose it to provide backpacks filled with needed school supplies to students at a local elementary school. I’ve opened the project to friends in the area, and so far a handful said they are interested in participating.

Last week I went shopping for some school supplies. Of course I forgot the list of supplies on my desk, so I was winging it a bit. I did purchase two backpacks, along with a ton of other things. I need to go back to the store and buy some more items to finish filling those two book bags, as well as a couple more backpacks to fill. I should be able to donate four filled bags. I’m hoping that with the other donations that have been promised that I can deliver at least 8 total bags. It’s a small amount, but it is a start.

I’m also going to donate some of the many paperback books I’ve accumulated at home. These books will go into the classroom libraries.

In addition to the school supplies in each backpack, I am going to put a few fun things. Stickers, Silly Bandz (or whatever the off brand is called) and a book.

The local elementary school that is receiving the donations begins the term on August 30, so I will be delivering the backpacks (and any extra supplies) to the school sometime the week before.

Here’s a photo of what has already been purchased and put together:

No comments:

Post a Comment