Friday, January 29, 2010

All you need is Love...

The past couple of weeks this song has been going through my mind a lot. I've even caught myself singing it out loud...in public! Then, a few days ago a friend on one of the message boards I frequent titled her new journal All you need is love. ACK! Thank goodness I love the song, because it will be stuck in my head for ages now.

Speaking of love...

I've been reading the book Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman. What an amazing love story! The two were completely devoted to one another, despite their differing opinions about religion and science.

When I was in Boston, I was had the chance to hear the author speak, as she won the Morris award for the book (in the category of best nonfiction for young adults). There were many in the audience, myself included, when she remarked on the adage "write what you know". She said that she likes to write, not what she knows, but what she wants to know more about; however, with this book she realized that she was also writing what she knew, as she, too, has a wonderful, devoted relationship with her husband. Coincidentally, her husband is a science-minded person (and Pulitzer prize winning author of The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time) and she has a degree in religious studies.

Continuing on the topic of love...

I can't help but think of my husband and me. In just a few weeks we will have been together for ten years (and married for a bit over seven). We've encountered many stresses over those ten years, including unemployment, living in separate states, career changes, buying our first house, financial issues and infertility. Through it all, though, we have stood together, hand in hand, and worked our way past the bad to find the good. Perhaps it is true. All you need is love.

1 comment: