Friday, April 23, 2010

All God’s critters got a place in the choir…

I used to be a singer. I still love to sing, but I know that I’m no where near as good as I once was. It’s my own fault. I quit singing for a while, mostly for stupid reasons that I won’t go in to here, but will suffice to say that a little over ten years ago I started at least singing to myself again. (note...the hubby and I have been together for just over 10 years. Coincidence? I think not.)

I love to belt out songs. Usually to the puppyboy or to the hubby. I also have a handful of friends and coworkers that I’ll sing to – often to just get a song stuck in their heads. I get to sing at work all the time. Over the past few months, I’ve even been doing it without any accompaniment from a CD. But that music is all children’s songs.

About a month ago I joined a church. A week after I attended Mass for the first time, I started singing in the choir. This week I made it to practice for the first time.

Wow. I am out of practice. And I am having a hard time adjusting to singing harmony when needed. I almost never had to do that before, since I was a soprano, and now I’m an alto. And I’m singing with people who actually know what they are doing/hearing. Perhaps it’s time to dig out the keyboard and practice some scales.

One last note (ha!). The title for this post is from an adorable children's book based on the song with that title. Check out All God's Critters illustrated by Kadir Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment