Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Today I want to share my thankfulness for something many of us use...Facebook.  I know.  It seems just plain, well, weird to be thankful for this social media giant.  But if it wasn't for Facebook I wouldn't have an adorable puppygirl fast asleep and using my feet as a pillow.  That is what brings my appreciation for Facebook to mind right now, but as I think about it more, I have many other reason to be thankful for it.

Due to being on Facebook I have been able to connect with relatives I didn't know I had, reconnect with ones I haven't seen in many years and to learn more about our families.  (I adore genealogy, so this is extra special to me).

I have made friends through Facebook and have reconnected with people from my past.  We might not talk on a regular basis - even through Facebook - but we have a connection that wouldn't be there if not for the site.

And when my grandfather passed away six weeks ago, I was able to use Facebook to alert many family members more quickly by posting not only on my own wall, but also in a group for another side of my family.

Through Facebook I can see photos of my new niece, who lives in Texas. I can also share with others the photos sent to me via email and text messages.  This allows my brother-in-law's family in Michigan, our family in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio, and friends in various parts of the country share in the joy of this new arrival.

So even though Facebook can at times be dramarama central, and I have lately been frustrated by the political and sports childishness that arise during election and football seasons, and it can be a bit of a timesuck from time to time (games for me, though not as much as I once played, I feel that the good outweighs the bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment