Thursday, July 1, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I'm home from DC. The trip home was a lot shorter than the one there, since the train was running on time. While there were some annoyances with the trip home - like being seated in a car with no outlets - overall it was a pleasant trip. I love taking the train. Just look at these views! (photos taken with my iPhone)


DC was wonderful. I could have done without the heat - it was in the upper 90s the whole time - but I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in the city. Hopefully I can make the trip there again sometime soon and really see the city.

I ate several wonderful meals. If you are in town and looking for a delicious pizza, I highly recommend Ella's on 9th street. It's downtown - close to a lot of the attractions. The wood fired pizza is heavenly. Want something sweet? Try the Double Chocolate Pudding. It is OMG delicious! I loved the place so much I ate there twice. I could have easily eaten there every day.

A few photos from my iPhone:

margherita pizza (buffalo mozzarell a, basil, tomato sauce, olive oil and sea salt)


My lunch partner's meal - Calzone con salsiccia (pepperoni, sausage, ricotta, parmesan, tomato, onions and sweet peppers )


From another trip, mozzarella carrozza (lightly breaded and fried blend of mozzarella, ricotta & parmesan with a balsamic-tomato sauce)


My roommates and I also ate at a fantastic place called Oya. I don't have any photos of our meal, as it was too dark to really take any. My complaints don't stem from the actual food, but rather our server and the atmosphere. The place was beautiful. The noise, however, was too much. I could barely hear myself think, let alone have a conversation with my dinner companions or hear the server talk. It was also a little too dim, making it difficult to read the menus.

I ordered from the prix fixe menu. For $29, I got a salad, meal and dessert. I choose the spinach and pear salad, sans bleu cheese and the Grilled Beef Sirloin (coriander pepper | ginger carrots | fingerling potatoes). For dessert, I opted for Bittersweet Molten Chocolate Cake (Mandarin orange anglaise | vanilla ice cream). My companions ordered sushi for dinner and shared a strawberry shortcake for dessert.

I ordered my dessert when I ordered my meal, as that is when the server asked what I wanted. However, when my friends received their dessert, I was left waiting for mine...and waiting...and waiting. Finally I was able to flag down our server to ask for my dessert. It was heavenly once it finally arrived.

Then she brought us our check. When we asked for it to be split by what we each ordered, we were told that the only way it could be done is if we do the math!!

All in all, I would go again. Next time, however, I'll be sure to clearly explain our preferred method of payment before we actually order.

I hope to make the trip again sometime. I think it would be great for the hubby and I to take the train to Harpers Ferry, WV and spend a couple days there, then hop back on the train and head to DC for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment