Thursday, November 19, 2009

Knit one, purl two

I’m a knitter. Somewhat. I am often hesitant to refer to myself as a knitter or to tell people how long I’ve been knitting (since fall of 2004), because then it’s assumed that I know what I am doing. I don’t. Far from it. I can read patterns. I know some things about different fibers and weights. But I forget some semi-simple things, like how to make eyelets or decrease.

For instance, I am making a hat for a friend. It’s made out of 100 % baby alpaca (from Knitpicks.com). I often chuckle when thinking of this yarn, as warped me imagines little naked baby alpacas roaming the Andes Mountains. Anyhow… There is no pattern as I am just making it up as I go along. I made a similar hat last year, yet I had to ask my kitty friends how to make the eyelets (again). I’m sure they realize that soon I’ll be asking how to decrease…again.

I do love playing with yarn. While I’m fairly certain I will never make a sweater (or any other major article of clothing), I have fun attempting to knit new things and encouraging my friends in our yarn obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment