As promised, here is the recipe for the peasant bread. So easy and delicious!!
Basic Peasant Bread
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees), divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour***
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar
- Add the yeast mixture and remaining water; stir until combined.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir dough down. Divide in half. Place each half in a greased 1-quart casserole or ovenproof bowl.
- Brush tops with butter.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from pans. Serve warm if desired.
***I used 2 cups all-purpose flour and 2 cups of whole wheat flour.
For one loaf I mixed in two tablespoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings, and about 1 cup of mixed cheeses (parmesan, mozzarella and cheddar).