Friday, August 24, 2012

Frugal Friday - Stockpiling 101, part 2


As I mentioned in a previous post, this summer we remodeled our kitchen.  This project included adding a dishwasher.  Oh, how happy that has made me.  Washing dishes by hand is one of my least favorite household chores…not that I have a favorite household chore.  The addition of a dishwasher has changed my stockpile needs.  All of those bottles of dish soap and packages of sponges I accumulated at a great price will now last me a few years – not just a few months.  Now, however, I need to boost my stock of dishwasher detergent and rinsing agents.



What can you do when your stockpile demands change, but you have a bunch of the now unnecessary items? There are a few different options. 
  • Depending on the type of items, you may be able to donate the extras.  Food pantries, homeless or women’s shelters, and other organizations are often in need of supplies.  If possible, contact the organization to see if there is anything specific they are looking for or if there are items that you cannot donate.
  • If you will still use the items and they will last a long time – such as my excess dish soap and sponges – you can hang on to them to use over the next few years.
  • Have a stock swap.  Perhaps a friend has too many of an item that you will use, but not enough of something you have in excess. 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment