Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Spring is in the air

Although the snow keeps coming down in my corner of Ohio, I’m thinking ahead to Spring. This isn’t because I am sick of snow already. Truly, I’m not. I love snow…at least between December 1 and March 1.

No, I am thinking ahead to Spring because it’s time to start ordering seeds for the garden. Last year was my first real attempt at major gardening. Major for me, at least. My dad puts in a massive garden every year. He always plants more than is needed. I’m not sure, but I think he could feed a small village.

Additionally, he starts a lot of his plants – namely tomatoes – from seeds kept from previous years. Last year I was the first time I started plants from seeds. I was so very excited when they grew. I was also quite peeved when the Japanese Beetles nearly decimated my basil (and a few other plants) and when the slugs attacked my tomatoes. The beetles were ever so unlovingly referred to as “those little bastards”. They still are.

I didn’t prep my garden this fall like I had wanted to. That’s somewhat the way it goes with me. I’m full of good intentions. Regardless, I think it will work out OK in the long run. First, though, the two or so feet of snow needs to melt. Just not all at once. Flooding isn’t really desirable, yanno?

A short list of what I am considering for this year’s garden:

Herbs
  • Dill
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Rosemary
  • Sage
  • Thyme
  • Parsley
  • Mint
  • Chives

Vegetables
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell peppers
  • Broccoli
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Cucumber


Fruit
  • Strawberries
  • Black raspberries
  • Peaches (?) – We have a tree in front. It produced fruit a couple years ago. Need to look in to that more.

I think it is safe to say that I need a bigger yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment