Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thankful Thursday - Embrace the Positive

Recently I saw an acquaintance I haven’t seen in about a year.  I was polite and said hello and reluctantly asked how she has been.  Why reluctantly?  Because this particular person is a Negative Nelly. This isn’t to say that she doesn’t have good reason to be unhappy with certain situations in her life, but rather that she chooses to focus on the negative.

I know how difficult it can be to maintain a positive outlook.  It is something that I struggle with on a daily basis.  Sometimes I even struggle with it on a minute by minute basis!  However, a positive outlook is something that I strive to have.  Yes, there are times when I break down and wallow in the negativity.  It is only human to feel that way from time to time.  Over the years I have found that when I try to focus on the positive I feel less stressed and overall happier.  As someone who battles depression, this is an important task. 

How can you keep positive despite negative circumstances?  Here are a few suggestions:
  • Surround yourself with positive people.
  • Laugh often.
  • Think about the things that make you smile.
  • Ask yourself: Will this matter tomorrow? Next week? Next month? A year from now?
  • Look for the sun shining through the dark clouds.
  • Luna Belle about to kiss snipe me.
  • Make time for activities you enjoy. Whether it is once a day or once a month set aside a bit of time for you.
Don’t think you are a Negative Nelly?  Think about what you say to others.  When you are asked, “How are you?”, do you reply with a litany of complaints? Are most of your Facebook posts gripes about life?  If so, you will be amazed at the difference that small positive thinking alterations will make in your life.

As today is Thankful Thursday, I don’t think it is a stretch to bring this post around to that topic.  I’m thankful for the good in my life.  Although there are situations that may upset me and times that I am sad, I know that my blessings far outweigh my troubles.  Thankfully, I can see and embrace the positive in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment