Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thankful Thursday


The holidays were busy, as usual, and life is getting back to normal…or what qualifies as normal in my world.  I thought it would be best to return to the blog with a bit of gratitude.

Today I want to share my thankfulness for having a job that I truly enjoy.  There are times when something happens to drive me crazy and stretches when the stress levels skyrocket.  Then there are occurrences such as the one that transpired Tuesday evening. 

It was five-o’clock…time to go home.  I was about to turn off my computer and gather my things when I saw Sam walking towards the Youth Services office.  I’ve helped her a few times over the past several months.  A senior in high school, she leads a busy life between school, work and social events.  She loves to read, though, and tries to find time for books. 

I don’t even think we started the conversation with hellos!  Sam told me that she LOVED Where Things Come Back – one of the books I suggested.  She didn’t like The Chocolate War – another recommendation, but really wanted to read Paper Covers Rock.  So we went over to the branch’s Teen Central and found the title and I recommended a few more.

I left work about 15 minutes late that night, but I left with a smile.  Here is a busy teen that comes to the library and looks for me because she trusts my recommendations. 

So I am thankful for Sam – and others like her – that have me leaving work smiling, not because I’m going home, but because I know I’ve chosen the right career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment