Monday, October 22, 2012

Miscellaneous Monday - Family History Searching 101 - Where to Begin

Today's miscellaneous post is about searching for your roots.  I've been working on my own family history for over 23 years.  Yes...I was a tween when I started, thanks to a friend's mom teaching me the basics. 

NOTE: I wrote this post for a content site called Bubblews, where I have also shared some of my other blog posts.

Want to know more about your family history, but aren’t sure how to begin? Here are a few tips to get started on your search.

My dad ran off to be a cowboy at a very young age.
  • Write down the information that you know. Names of your parents, grandparents, spouse(s), children, siblings. Dates and locations of births, marriages, divorces, and deaths. 
  • Take note of family stories. Have you always been told that your great-great-grandfather died of alcoholism in a nearby county jail? Write it down. It might be a folktale, but it could very well be the truth! 
  •  Talk to other family members. They might tell you that they don’t remember or know much about the past generations. Chances are you will both be pleasantly surprised by what they remember once you start asking.
  • Go to the library or local genealogy society. Many will have an expert available to help you with your search. Arrive armed with your notes and you will quickly be on your way to finding your family’s past!


No comments:

Post a Comment